"PHY read timeout" with bce2 & 3 on FreeBSD 8.0

Charles Owens cowens at greatbaysoftware.com
Mon Jan 18 21:22:40 UTC 2010

Pyun YongHyeon wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 10:40:55AM -0500, Charles Owens wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm working with a system (IBM System x3550 M2) that has four onboard
>> bce(4) NICs.  Using FreeBSD 8.0, the first two seem to function fine,
>> but the second two do not, yielding messages like this when a cable is
>> inserted:
>>
>> Jan 12 10:37:19 dmz55 kernel: <2<>N2M>NINM IM INISMI AI S AIIS SAA
>> 22cc2,,c ,  E2EIcIES,SIAS  AA
>> E  I00
>> Jan 12 10:37:19 dmz55 kernel:
>> Jan 12 10:37:19 dmz55 kernel: S0
>> Jan 12 10:37:19 dmz55 kernel:
>> Jan 12 10:37:19 dmz55 kernel: <<22>>A
>> Jan 12 10:37:19 dmz55 kernel:
>> Jan 12 10:37:19 dmz55 kernel: 0
>> Jan 12 10:37:28 dmz55 kernel: bce2: /usr/src/sys/dev/bce/if_bce.c(1533):
>> Error: PHY read timeout!
>>  phy = 1, reg = 0x0001
>>

>> What's are the best next steps to take in figuring this out?  Thanks in
>> advance for any assistance.  Kernel boot log appending below.
>>

> Are you using ASF/IMPI/UMP on bce2 or bce3?
> If so would you try attached patch? Publicly available datasheet
> lacks details on management firmware handling so I'm not sure what
> is really happening here.
> davidch may shed light on this(CCed).

At this stage I'm not doing anything with the interfaces beyond trying
plug in a cable and configure an IP with ifconfig.  A few more details
that might be worth mentioning:

* The system does have the built-in Integrated Management Module (IMM)
that has its own dedicated Ethernet port.  I've done nothing with it.
* If you do happen to plug a cable into this management NIC, within a
few seconds the box does a reboot (!)

I'll test the patch within a couple days.  Thanks!

Charles