kern/92090: [bge] bge: watchdog timeout -- resetting

Floris Bos info at je-eigen-domein.nl
Thu Jan 14 01:40:05 UTC 2010

The following reply was made to PR kern/92090; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Floris Bos <info at je-eigen-domein.nl>
To: bug-followup at freebsd.org
Subject: Re: kern/92090: [bge] bge: watchdog timeout -- resetting
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 02:14:07 +0100

 This might be a different problem, but I add it to this bug as I am getting the same error message.

 I have a brand new HP DL120 G6 server which has an on-board NIC that is based on the BCM5723 chipset.
 The NIC is not supported/recognized by FreeBSD 8, but the FreeBSD 9 (January snapshot) identifies it as:

 ==
 bge0: <HP NC107i PCIe Gigabit Server Adapter, ASIC rev. 0x5784100> mem 0xdf900000-0xdf90ffff irq 16 at device 0.0 on pci32
 ==

 After boot, the network works for about 5 seconds, barely enough time to get an IP by DHCP, and sent a ping or 2.
 Then network connectivity goes down, and after some time there is a "bge0: watchdog timeout -- resetting" message.

 Then network works again for 5 seconds, and goes down again. All the time, repeatedly.

 The system works fine under Ubuntu. So I assume the hardware is ok.

 Yours sincerley,

 Floris Bos