How to enable IPv6 on a subset of interfaces

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jan 13 06:48:42 UTC 2010

On Tue, 12 Jan 2010, Brett Lee wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Using FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE, and am trying variations in /etc/rc.conf in an
> attempt to enable IPv6 on ONLY one of the systems two interfaces.
>
> Specifically, em0 should be enabled IPv4 DHCP, and bge0 should be enabled
> IPv6 only.
>
> From the KAME link below, and the files /etc/network.subr and
> /etc/defaults/rc.conf, am reading that "ipv6_network_interface" should work;
> however the following still results in em0 obtaining IPv6 addresses:
>
> http://www.kame.net/~suz/freebsd-ipv6-config-guide.txt

That link is prehistoric. While I haven't read it (past the date) I would
not rely on it heavily.

> ifconfig_em0="DHCP"
> ipv6_enable="YES"
> ipv6_network_interface="bge0"

There is no such option in rc.conf. Spelling counts. :)

> ipv6_network_interfaces="bge0"

You want to include lo0 in this list.

You haven't specified what IPv6 addresses you're seeing on em0 that you
don't want to see. At minimum you will see the link local address (it
starts with fe80::) but that is simply an artifact of having IPv6 in the
kernel, and is not avoidable. It also isn't going to hurt anything.

It would also be helpful if you could be more specific about what your
goals are. In other words, why do you want IPv6 on only one interface? If
we had more information we could help you better.

Doug

 			-- Pablo Picasso