lagg doesn't fail back to master

Callum Gibson callumgibson at optusnet.com.au
Tue Jan 12 05:24:59 UTC 2010

Hi all,

I've sucessfully setup a lagg0 interface on my laptop to fail the wired
connection over to wireless when it's unplugged.

I have the following in my rc.conf:

wlans_bwi0="wlan0"
ifconfig_bwi0="ether XXX"
ifconfig_wlan0="WPA mode 11g"
cloned_interfaces="lagg0"
ifconfig_lagg0="SYNCDHCP laggproto failover laggport bge0 laggport wlan0"

This seems to work fine at boot. However, once I plug wired back in,
lagg doesn't switch back to the master. Here is what ifconfig is showing:

bge0: flags=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
        options=9b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM>
        ether XXX
        status: active
bwi0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 2290
        ether XXX
        media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect mode 11g
        status: associated
wlan0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
        ether XXX
        media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet OFDM/24Mbps mode 11g
        status: associated
        ssid 47FifthSt channel 6 (2437 Mhz 11g) bssid 00:0f:66:4f:1c:b8
        country US authmode WPA privacy ON deftxkey UNDEF TKIP 2:128-bit
        TKIP 3:128-bit txpower 0 bmiss 7 scanvalid 450 bgscan bgscanintvl 300
        bgscanidle 250 roam:rssi 7 roam:rate 5 protmode CTS roaming MANUAL
lagg0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
        ether XXX
        media: Ethernet autoselect
        status: active
        laggproto failover
        laggport: wlan0 flags=4<ACTIVE>
        laggport: bge0 flags=1<MASTER>

The handbook says lagg should switch back to master when it becomes
active again. I tried a few other things like taking wlan0 down manually
and even stopping the interface and restarting lagg without wlan active,
but this just hung my network connection. Even destroying lagg and
recreating by hand had no effect and lagg0 came back with the children
already attached (as seen above) so the system is caching that information
somewhere and lagg just won't let go of wlan...

I'm on 8.0-STABLE from about 4 Dec 2009.

Any ideas?

regards,
    Callum

--