Slow speeds experienced with Dummynet

rihad rihad at mail.ru
Tue Feb 23 07:58:37 UTC 2010

Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 10:48:32PM +0400, rihad wrote:
>> Hi, all,
>>
>> Recalling my old posting "dummynet dropping too many packets" dated
>> October 4, 2009, the problem isn't over just yet. This time, there are
>> no interface i/o drops (just a reminder: we have 2 bce(4) GigE cards
>> connected to a Cisco router, one for input, and one for output. The box
>> itself does some traffic accounting and enforces speed limits w/
>> ipfw/dummynet. There are normally around 5-6k users online).
>
> If i remember well, the previous discussion ended when you
> raised the intr_queue_maxlen (and perhaps increased HZ) to
> avoid that the bursts produced by periodic invocation of
> dummynet_io() could overflow that queue.
>
>>From the rest of your post it is not completely clear if you have
> not found any working configuration, or there is some setting (e.g.
> with "queue 1000" or larger) which do produce a smooth experience
> for your customers.

Nope, I haven't been able to find it :( From as low as 50 to 2000 slots.
I've also tried 1 and 2s worth queue sizes (in Kbytes). After about 8
p.m., when most users are online, speed problems are the most apparent.
It all boils down to big differences between some subsequent "systat
-if" reads, both for input and output, when dummynet is in use. It isn't
normal for two reads to differ in as much as 100-150 mbps (20-25%). I
can only hope that Intel's expensive 10 GigE cards have much larger
tolerance to traffic load spikes, and are better suited for ISP usage
patterns.