Routing into overlapping subnets

Christian Ullrich chris at chrullrich.net
Wed Feb 17 22:10:17 UTC 2010

Hello all,

I'm having a routing problem I can't wrap my head around. Consider this
situation: I want to provide some common resources (printers etc.) to a
number of clients in separate networks. They each have their own
physical network, and these networks are supposed to stay isolated, with
the exception of what I'm trying to set up. I have no control over the
IP addressing used by the clients, except that it's all RFC1918, but as
far as I know, they are all using the same addresses.

What I thought would work was this: On a central switch, set up one VLAN
per client network and ensure that the switch only forwards between the
port assigned to the client and one (trunk) port where I put my router.
On the router, create the required VLAN interfaces and put the "public"
addresses for my printers on them (one in each RFC1918 net, but the same
on each VLAN), then use pf to NAT the destination for packets coming in
on each VLAN to the actual printers, and use "reply-to" to make sure the

Now I'm stuck. With one client, that works fine, but when I add another
one (different interface, same client address), the packets are dropped
and dmesg shows lots of "arpresolve: can't allocate llinfo for (client
address)". I suppose that's because there is already an ARP entry for
that IP address, and the kernel cannot add another one.

If that's true, here's what I don't understand: When the time comes to
resolve IP addresses to hardware addresses, the kernel has already
routed the packet to an outgoing interface, so it should be enough to
consider the ARP entries associated with that interface to know where to
send the packet. Why doesn't the kernel look up an ARP table entry by
both IP address and interface?

Is there anything I can do to make this work? It's not an everyday
setup, I know, but I'd really like to make it work.

Thanks for any help.

--
Christian