Attansic L1 Gigabit discovered on install but no link

Mike Tancsa mike at sentex.net
Tue Feb 16 18:20:36 UTC 2010

At 07:29 AM 2/16/2010, Patrick Ale wrote:
>Good afternoon,
>
>I tried to install FreeBSD 8.0 about 30 minutes ago and during the
>installation I encountered a problem.
>
>My network card is detected but on DHCP Server discoverage I see that
>no link is detected and that the driver/dhcp discovery process is
>giving up on trying.

Hi,
         Try finishing off the install and then see if you can
manually get it working.  I have see in the past some drivers bugs
causing difficulty with DHCP.  Perhaps try and manually set the PHY
speed and IP address. I dont see any obvious fixes that went into the
tree Post 8.0R, but if you can get things partially working, or
enough to file a PR, someone might be able to fix things up from there.

What does

ifconfig -a

show ?
also
pciconf -lvc
...for the part that shows the nic driver.

If its the ae driver, try
ifconfig ae0 media 10baseT/UTP up

and then
dhclient ae0

or manually set the IP address and see if that works.

         ---Mike

Mike Tancsa,                                      tel +1 519 651 3400
Sentex Communications,                            mike at sentex.net
Providing Internet since 1994                    www.sentex.net
Cambridge, Ontario Canada                         www.sentex.net/mike