Generating RTM_IFINFO messages on interface description change?

Nikolay Denev ndenev at gmail.com
Mon Dec 13 11:51:32 UTC 2010

Hello,

I'm currently trying to enable bsnmpd to export the interface
descriptions that are supported on FreeBSD 8+ as ifDescr and
while doing it I'm wondering if RTM_IFINFO msgs should be generated
on description set/change. This would greatly simplify the functionality
in bsnmpd and would prevent needless polls/ioctls.

My opinion is that it probably is OK to generate RTM_IFINFO on this event but are there other opinions?

Regards,
Nikolay