8.2-PRERELESE ifconfig_bridge has no members unless run from rc.local

Kim Culhan w8hdkim at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 19:25:43 UTC 2010

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 12:58 PM, John Baldwin <jhb at freebsd.org> wrote:

>  On Wednesday, December 08, 2010 11:29:49 am Kim Culhan wrote:

> > > enter

> > > Most likely the bridge0 device is created by /etc/rc.d/netif before the
> > > wlan0
> > > device is created, so when the system startup tries to configure
> bridge0,
> > > the
> > > ifconfig statement fails.
> > >
> > > What does 'ifconfig -l' show after you have booted?
> > >
> > It shows:
> >
> > re0 em0 plip0 lo0 bridge0
> >
> > On the console at boot there is, after the file partition status and
> setting
> > the hostname:
> > ifconfig: BRDGADD wlan0: No such file or directory
> >
> > Following this is:
> >
> > Starting Network: lo0 re0 em0 bridge0
> >
> > Which is followed by output the same as from ifconfig -a including
> bridge0
> > which
> > has no members.
> >
> > Next is:
> >
> > Starting Network: rum0
> > rum0: flags=8843<UP, BROADCAST  etc
>
> Hmm, I wonder why rum0 shows up so late.  Do you not plug it in until after
> boot, or does it depend on devd loading firmware into the device, etc.?

Its plugged in at boot and rum is in the kernel.

There is a mention in rum(4) about uploading microcode for the onboard
controller.

The machine has an Intel D945GCLF2 Atom motherboard, which has been in use
for some months without this
problem, prior to updating the bits now 4 days ago.

There is a second machine running 8.2-PRERELEASE which has a faster core2
quad processor and does not
have this problem when run with the same rum device, also updated 4 days
ago. This machine has an Intel DG45ID
motherboard.

Replaced the drive in the Atom machine and installed 8.2-BETA1 thinking a
mistake may have been made in the update
process over the preceeding weeks to cause this, no change.

-kim