EHOSTUNREACH returned for refused IPv6 connection

Bjoern A. Zeeb bzeeb-lists at lists.zabbadoz.net
Mon Dec 6 16:15:07 UTC 2010

On Mon, 6 Dec 2010, Terry Kennedy wrote:

Hi,

>> Sorry, you're right: I forgot I don't have my tunnel setup so there's no
>> external IPv6 connectivity (I don't have an IPv6 network configured at
>> the moment at all). What confused me initially was the fact that ssh
>> displays the "No route to host" error instead of "Connection refused"
>> when both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses are available but only IPv4 works.
>
>  I'm experiencing something which may be related. I posted a question in
> the FreeBSD Forums: http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=19895
>
>  I don't get anything displayed at the application (ftp / telnet / etc.)
> level - it just hangs until the connection eventually times out. I do see
> unreachables getting into the FreeBSD box - it just seems like they don't
> make it down to the application level. The post I linked above has a more
> detailed description, as well as tcpdump output and so forth.
>
>  System is 8-STABLE as of November 28th, but I see the same thing on a
> 6-STABLE from February 2010.

What happens if you do:

route add -inet6 -host 2001:4f8:0:2::e -prefixlen 128 ::1 -reject
route add -inet6 -host 2001:6c8:2:600::132 -prefixlen 128 ::1 -reject

and try again with ftp?  Which is the test case I did here locally.
Obviously I should try on my gateway rather than on the same machine
but as you cannot I'd start with this test.

/bz

--
Bjoern A. Zeeb                              Welcome a new stage of life.
         <ks> Going to jail sucks -- <bz> All my daemons like it!