How to configure non-EUI64 IPv6 addresses with solicited prefixes?

Darren Pilgrim freebsd at bitfreak.org
Sun Aug 29 19:04:51 UTC 2010

I have two machines where I need them to:

1. Solicit a prefix;
2. Apply the solicitation to a non-EUI64 address;
3. Use the non-EUI64 address as the default source address.

Retaining the EUI64 address is not necessary.  Static configuration
prevents 1 and I have not been able to get 2 or 3 to work at all.  The
original KAME documentation implies this is/was possible, but current
documentation says nothing about it (not that I can find, anyway).  A
grep of /etc/* indicates interface_ipv6_ifid_* variables (mentioned in
the KAME documentation) are not supported.

One is running 8.1, the other 6.4 (I can upgrade it if necessary).