8.0-RELEASE-p3: 4k jumbo mbuf cluster exhaustion

Pyun YongHyeon pyunyh at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 19:26:57 UTC 2010

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 08:37:52PM +0800, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> On 23 August 2010 18:18, Andre Oppermann <andre at freebsd.org> wrote:
> > It seems the 4k clusters do not get freed back to the pool after they've
> > been sent by the NIC and dropped from the socket buffer after the ACK has
> > arrived. ?The leak must occur in one of these two places. ?The socket
> > buffer is unlikely as it would affect not just you but everyone else too.
> > Thus the mbuf freeing after DMA/tx in the bce(4) driver is the prime
> > suspect.
>
> They don't stay leaked though. Killing the offending process sees
> mbuf's eventually returned.
> It isn't immediate though. It may be related to timing out existing
> socket connections or something?
>
> I haven't yet brought up the second box enough to start passing test
> traffic, so I can't provide any further details than this.

Here is patch that fixes TX/RX related issues. The patch was
generated against HEAD. I'm not sure you can apply this patch to
8.0-RELEASE but you can see the point of TX issues of driver.
I'm still waiting for David's opinion on this patch but it seems
he's busy to address other issues of Broadcom controllers which
might be triggered by me.