8.0-RELEASE-p3: 4k jumbo mbuf cluster exhaustion

Adrian Chadd adrian.chadd at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 12:37:54 UTC 2010

On 23 August 2010 18:18, Andre Oppermann <andre at freebsd.org> wrote:
> It seems the 4k clusters do not get freed back to the pool after they've
> been sent by the NIC and dropped from the socket buffer after the ACK has
> arrived.  The leak must occur in one of these two places.  The socket
> buffer is unlikely as it would affect not just you but everyone else too.
> Thus the mbuf freeing after DMA/tx in the bce(4) driver is the prime
> suspect.

They don't stay leaked though. Killing the offending process sees
mbuf's eventually returned.
It isn't immediate though. It may be related to timing out existing
socket connections or something?

I haven't yet brought up the second box enough to start passing test
traffic, so I can't provide any further details than this.

Adrian