Recommended Sequence to Set Up Router/Firewall Appliance and Bind DNS Server?

satellites at inorbit.com satellites at inorbit.com
Mon Aug 16 02:40:14 UTC 2010

Hello List,

I wonder if someone might be able to point me in the right direction:

I have two interfaces on a New 7.3 FreeBSD Installation that I would like to use on two different subnets.? In other words, I would like the machine to function as a router.? I do have the gateway_enable option present in rc.conf however neither of the two interfaces are presently set up. ? If I am setting up the machine to function as a router, is it bad practice to also set it up as a DNS Server?

I am also working through a couple of books on PF, which I'd like to use with this router appliance.
Being that PF has NAT capabilities and redirection options, is it correct to set up bind first, then the persistent routes in rc.conf, then the firewall?? Am I confusing the issue??