Does not work resolving IPv6 addresses via IPv4 DNS-server

Bernd Walter ticso at cicely7.cicely.de
Wed Aug 11 08:31:35 UTC 2010

On Sun, Aug 08, 2010 at 06:22:56PM -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Aug 2010, Vladislav V. Prodan wrote:
>
> >09.08.2010 3:51, Doug Barton ??????????:
> >>If you are trying to do something else, let us know and we'll try to
> >>help you with it. :)
> >

> >First, remove the output "Invalid argument"
> >And instead of an error ";; connection timed out; no servers could be
> >reached" give something: "8.8.8.8 is not ipv6 address, make request
> >without options -6"

It is no timeout - for your system configuration it is just an invalid
address.
The request isn't send at all, so how can it timeout?

> That's a request you'll want to make to ISC who actually writes the BIND
> software. I wouldn't make that modification to our local copy.

The message is not from bind and it is correct.
The IPv4 address is correcty translated into IPv6 address space, but
the kernel has no ipv6_ipv4mapping enabled so it correclt refuses
sending data to the embedded IPv4 address via IPv6 socket with an
"Invalid argument".

--
B.Walter <bernd at bwct.de> http://www.bwct.de