Does not work resolving IPv6 addresses via IPv4 DNS-server

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Mon Aug 9 01:18:41 UTC 2010

On Sun, 8 Aug 2010, Vladislav V. Prodan wrote:

> # host -6 2001:5c0:1000:b::599b 8.8.8.8

I think that there has been some fuzzy thinking on this thread. :)

There is no way that the command above could possibly work. The -6
option to host means "use IPv6 transport to make this request." The
specification of 8.8.8.8 at the end of your line tells host to use the
name server at that IPv4 address. So no possible way that could work.

If you are trying to look up the PTR record for the address
2001:5c0:1000:b::599b just leave out the -6 and it will work fine. If
you are trying to do something else, let us know and we'll try to help
you with it. :)

Doug

 			-- Pablo Picasso