Current best version for router use

Balaji G balajig81 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 22 15:35:29 UTC 2010

Hi Paul

> There seem to be a lot of issues that have appeared around 8.0 and the em
code, and although patches have quickly appeared, I know that a lot of the
forwarding and routing code in 8 is new  - so whilst I would normally have
just tested this with 8 > and not considered anything else, I am thinking
that maybe sticking with 7 is a better plan.

I have been using FreeBSD 8.0 and as well 7.2 but from a routing perspective
i would say you could go ahead with 8.0 for the reason being 7.2 still does
not support ECMP but 8.0 supports ECMP which is quite important but having
said that load balancing and fast protection has got issues in 8.0 too but
from a longer run 8.0 would be better choice as Qing and other few people
are putting lot of fixes to flowtable and general routing infrastructure .

Hope this helps

Thanks,
Cheers,
  - Balaji