Host only TCP/IP implementation based on FreeBSD

Iwan Budi Kusnanto iwan.ilt at gmail.com
Tue Apr 13 05:16:59 UTC 2010

Vineet Dixit wrote:
> Hi -
>
> My apologies in advance in case my question in not appropriate for this list.
>
> I am evaluating TCP/IP stack implementation  for a device which
> requires only the end-device network features. I am keen on FreeBSD's
> TCP/IP implementation due to it's long history of development, use on
> wide range of devices and code maturity. However my requirements are
> limited to only transport protocols, IPv4 and IPv6, ARP, DHCP client
> and so on. I don't need advanced routing and forwarding, multicast,
> IPSec, QoS which are part of the distribution. FreeBSD's SMP support
> and fine-grained locking are certainly a bonus but isn't part of MUST
> have features.
>
> Is there an implementation that is a trimmed down TCP/IP stack based
> on BSD which I could port to another RTOS? Looking for either
> commercial or open source implementation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LwIP
lwIP (lightweight IP) is a widely used open source TCP/IP stack designed
for embedded systems. lwIP was originally developed by Adam Dunkels at
the Swedish Institute of Computer Science and is now developed and
maintained by a world wide network of developers led by Kieran Mansley.

lwIP is used by many manufacturers of embedded systems. Examples include
Altera (in the Nios II operating system), Analog Devices (for the
Blackfin DSP chip), Xilinx and Honeywell (for some of their FAA
certified avionics systems).

The focus of the lwIP TCP/IP implementation is to reduce resource usage
while still having a full scale TCP. This makes lwIP suitable for use in
embedded systems with tens of kilobytes of free RAM and room for around
40 kilobytes of code ROM

> Thanks.
>
> -- Vineet

Iwan Budi Kusnanto