Broadcom BCM5701 / HP NC6770

Erich Jenkins, Fuujin Group Ltd erich at fuujingroup.com
Tue Apr 13 00:05:22 UTC 2010

Pyun YongHyeon wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 06:10:30PM -0600, Erich Jenkins, Fuujin Group Ltd wrote:
>> Pyun YongHyeon wrote:

>>> If polling(4) make it work, try attached patch.

>> I'll get this set up. I've got a jail issues on 7.0-REL that I'm trying
>> to figure out too, so it might take a few hours before I get to this.
>>

> I beleive bge(4) in 7.0-RELEASE and 7.3-RELEASE is quite different.
> So I'm not sure whether the patch works on 7.0-RELEASE.
>
>> I just checked on a reported iSCSI error on a machine using a BCM5721
>> nic (copper gigE) and I'm seeing issues like this:
>>
>> Apr 11 06:24:59 san0 iscsi-target: pid 863:iscsi.c:1149: ***ERROR*** Bad
>> "Opcode": Got 0 expected 5.
>> Apr 11 06:24:59 san0 iscsi-target: pid 863:target.c:1317: ***ERROR***
>> iscsi_write_data_decap() failed
>> Apr 11 16:51:52 san0 iscsi-target: pid 863:iscsi.c:1149: ***ERROR*** Bad
>> "Opcode": Got 0 expected 5.
>> Apr 11 16:51:52 san0 iscsi-target: pid 863:target.c:1317: ***ERROR***
>> iscsi_write_data_decap() failed
>> Apr 12 10:32:49 san0 iscsi-target: pid 863:iscsi.c:1149: ***ERROR*** Bad
>> "Opcode": Got 0 expected 5.
>> Apr 12 10:32:49 san0 iscsi-target: pid 863:target.c:1317: ***ERROR***
>> iscsi_write_data_decap() failed
>> Apr 12 11:55:42 san0 iscsi-target: pid 863:iscsi.c:1149: ***ERROR*** Bad
>> "Opcode": Got 0 expected 5.
>> Apr 12 11:55:42 san0 iscsi-target: pid 863:target.c:1317: ***ERROR***
>> iscsi_write_data_decap() failed
>> Apr 12 14:07:13 san0 iscsi-target: pid 863:iscsi.c:1149: ***ERROR*** Bad
>> "Opcode": Got 0 expected 5.
>> Apr 12 14:07:13 san0 iscsi-target: pid 863:target.c:1317: ***ERROR***
>> iscsi_write_data_decap() failed
>>
>> Any chance this could be because of the NIC chipset? I don't see this on
>> any of the machines configured identically, using the em driver for
>> Intel GigE nics.
>>

> Have no idea what happens here. Does this also happen on
> 7.3-RELEASE?

Sorry, I meant to say I'd reinstall 7.3-REL to test this.

The iSCSI issues are happening on 8.0-REL. Are there any major
differences between 7.3 and 8.0 in the bge driver or network stack that
could be contributing to this?

Erich M. Jenkins
Fuujin Group Limited

"You should never, never doubt what no one is sure about."
-- Gene Wilder