iwi problems on -CURRENT (Apr 6. 2010)

Adam K Kirchhoff akirchhoff135014 at comcast.net
Tue Apr 6 13:48:42 UTC 2010

I'm having some problems with iwi on -CURRENT.

FreeBSD scroll.ashke.com 9.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 9.0-CURRENT #1: Sat Apr  3
  EDT 2010root at scroll.ashke.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SCROLL   i386

Though this also happens with GENERIC.

In loader.conf I have:

if_iwi_load="YES"
iwi_bss_load="YES"
legal.intel_iwi.license_ack=1

In /etc/rc.conf I have:

wlans_iwi0="wlan0"
ifconfig_wlan0="DHCP wpa"

Upon bootup, iwi fails to work with:

iwi0:<Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG>  at device 3.0 on pci3
iwi0: [ITHREAD]
iwi0: parity error
iwi0: timeout waiting for iwi_bss firmware initialization to complete
iwi0: could not load boot firmware iwi_bss
iwi0: timeout waiting for master

According to the iwi man page, "could not load boot firmware" "should
not happen":-)

Any thoughts on how to get this working?  For what it's worth, I
installed FreeBSD on this machine earlier this week, immediately
upgraded to -CURRENT (previous installations from the 8-STABLE series
on this laptop refused to let any wireless driver connect to the APs at
work, so I specifically wanted to see if this had been fixed in
-CURRENT), and iwi worked fine for a few days.  Then it stopped, though
I did not change anything on the system.  I updated -CURRENT today to
see if doing so would get iwi working again, but it did not.

Adam