Wacky DHCP values that work in windows but not in FreeBSD

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Mon Oct 12 23:21:33 UTC 2009

Michael K. Smith - Adhost wrote:
> [...]

Can you specify what you mean by 'that'?

> The interface will do proxy-arp when a
> traffic request comes in.  Or something else!  I'm not sure if this will
> work, but you could actually hard code your default gateway with a
> -hopcount 2 (or higher) and see if that works.  I've not tried it on a
> live machine.  Something like route add default 151.164.184.xxx
> -hopcount 5.  You may have to delete the DHCP-assigned entry first.

Ah, I didn't know about -hopcount, thanks. There was no default route
installed at all when I booted. I tried 'route add default 151...'
even though I was sure it wouldn't work, and I was not disappointed.

Doug