Volunteer opportunity for Networking tasks

JASSAL Aman aman.jassal at esigetel.fr
Mon Oct 12 09:26:43 UTC 2009

Dear all,

I am interested in contributing to the networking tasks of the FreeBSD
project. Having been on the freebsd-net mailing-list for about 6 months
now (and freebsd-current more recently), I really want to make myself
useful, and provide help in completing tasks on networking or wireless
networking areas.

I had been on the Networking Wikipage (this one :
http://wiki.freebsd.org/Networking), which describes the current on-going
tasks, I had been working over the last 2 weeks on rewriting some parts of
netstat(1) (mainly the part dumping the routing table) to make it use
sysctl rather than kvm. However after reading Mr.Gerzo's mail about the
FreeBSD Status Reports from yesterday evening, which talked about
libnetstat(), I'm starting to wonder whether whatever work I've done so
far is actually worthwhile... I was thinking of getting some experience on
board before volunteering for further work.

There are a good few tasks mentionned on the Networking Wikipage that
interest me a lot, so I'll just start working on something else if that
work is no longer required for netstat :-).

Please make me aware of any opportunities or tasks in which there is a
need for more people, I'd be greatly honoured to provide help.