intel 82576 ipsec offload?

Siquijor Philips siquijorphilips at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 04:14:15 UTC 2009

On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 1:45 AM, Pyun YongHyeon <pyunyh at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 08, 2009 at 01:24:20PM +0800, Siquijor Philips wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I got a dual-port Intel Gigabit NIC with 82576 (ET) chipset
>> http://www.intel.com/Assets/PDF/prodbrief/320116.pdf. It has a feature
>> on IPsec offloading but it only mentioned Microsoft Windows 2008 and
>> Vista servers. I wonder if FreeBSD have also support on this feature?
>>

> AFAIK it's not yet, not sure whether Jack has plan to implement the
> offloading. I know old Intel i82550 also supported IPSec offloading
> but Intel didn't release required information to implement it. 3Com
> also supported IPSec offloading in their 3XP hardwares(txp(4)) but
> the offloading was not implemented.

Hi Pyun,

Thanks for your info! By the way, who is Jack? Is he the author of
this driver? I really need to have this feature usable on the driver.
I bought these NICs with 82576 chipset for the purpose of implementing
IPsec in my network and my current FreeBSD servers could benefit it.
Just really thought it has support because FreeBSD was already part of
the supported operating system. I was alerted when I've re-read the
product info document again that it only support Windows 2008 and
Vista platforms. Now, I've confirmed that with the current existing
driver. I hope this guy has the plan of implementing it sooner because
I really need it.

Thanks,
Siquijor