PCI card for wlan AP

Boris Kochergin spawk at acm.poly.edu
Wed Oct 7 20:33:50 UTC 2009

Rui Paulo wrote:
> On 7 Oct 2009, at 20:04, Boris Kochergin wrote:
>>
>> The heavily-used ones exhibit the problem described at:
>>
>> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-net/2009-September/022894.html
>>

>> ...but that's a driver, not a hardware, issue. The one in the router
>> at my house doesn't exhibit the problem, the two differences there
>> being that the machine is 7.0-RELEASE, and there are only a couple of
>> clients connected to it, as opposed to the ~30 connected to my
>> heavily-used ones.
>
> Are you sure you have sufficient RAM to hold 30 users?
>
> What you seem to be saying is that the ath driver is leaking mbufs and
> hence you get a panic, right?
>
> --
> Rui Paulo

Pretty sure. The Soekris has 256 MB of RAM. I suspect that it's a leak
because things are usually great, even with ~30 users, with the
"80211node" portion from "vmstat -m" only taking a few hundred KiB of
RAM. Every few days, it spikes to over 100 MiB, and the "ath0:
ath_rx_proc: no mbuf!" kernel messages appear, often followed by a
panic. I haven't had time to try another rate-control algorithm, as per
the responses to my post, but I'll report back when I do get around to it.

-Boris