ezwlansetup sh script (8.0)

David Horn dhorn2000 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 02:43:04 UTC 2009

I have recently been using my laptop wifi in several new locations and
decided it was time to write a user friendly interactive shell script
to manage the necessary configuration file entries that govern wlan
connections in freebsd 8+, and to manage wpa_supplicant, etc.

This is just a first draft (no warranties!), but I wanted to get some
feedback before I continue.  It still needs some formatting/style
changes, and likely re-wording of some of the prompts.

Please let me know if:

a) It eats your cat or config files
b) It works and/or you find it useful
c) It sucks, and you find zero value since you have memorized
wpa_supplicant.conf and do not need a user friendly front end
d) ok for a start, but you really want feature abc
e) there is already a duplication of effort going on somewhere else

#       Revision=0.1 (Alpha) Works, but not well tested yet
#
#       Requires:  FreeBSD 8+
#
#       Designed for the mainstream end-user workstation scenarios,
#       not for any of the server hostap, multi-bss, lagg, vlan,
gateway, WDS, or
#       other setups which require static configuration
#
#       Works with:
#       -       WEP, WPA, WPA2, NONE Authentication - Station (STA) mode ONLY
#       -       multiple Access-Point (BSS) profiles in wpa_supplicant.conf
#       -       single wlanX interface per wireless nic
#       -       multiple wireless nics (e.g. iwn0 and ath0)
#       -       with/without existing /etc/rc.conf entries
#       -       with/without existing /etc/wpa_supplicant entries
#       -       demand-load wireless nic kernel module + add to loader.conf
#       -       priority field per profile setting
#       -       Hidden SSID per profile setting
#       -       rescan and display sorted AP list (sorted by signal strength)
#       -       Display scan results with detected authentication values
#       -       Ad-Hoc (As a static rc.conf entry only) + switch ibss<->bss mode
#
#       Broken with
#       -       WPS <not enabled in wpa_supplicant makefile yet, tbd>
#       -       WPA-EAP/802.1x - tbd
#       -       IBSS with encryption (WEP/WPA static key)

Full sh script (ezwlansetup.sh) is here:

http://sites.google.com/site/freebsdattachments/home/ezwlansetup.sh

./ezwlansetup.sh --help for usage information

---Dave H