dummynet dropping too many packets

Eugene Grosbein eugen at kuzbass.ru
Mon Oct 5 11:46:39 UTC 2009

On Sun, Oct 04, 2009 at 08:28:59PM +0500, rihad wrote:

> Thanks for the tip. although I took an easier route by simply doing
> "ipfw add allow ip from any to any" before the pipe rules, and the buf
> drop rate instantly became 0. So the problem is dummynet/ipfw.

You should also estimate volume of non-TCP traffic
that is generally has not flow control capabilities of TCP.

Or, try something like this:

ipfw add 100 skipto 200 tcp from any to any	# direct only TCP to dummynet
ipfw add 150 allow ip from any to any		# pass non-TCP
ipfw add 200 ... 				# here dummynet rules go

And take a look at drop counters.

Eugene Grosbein