dummynet dropping too many packets

rihad rihad at mail.ru
Mon Oct 5 09:48:32 UTC 2009

Eugene Grosbein wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 05, 2009 at 01:53:20PM +0500, rihad wrote:
>
>> As you can see the drops gradually went away completely at about 4:00
>> a.m., and started coming up at about 10:30 a.m., although at a lower
>> rate, probably thanks to me bumping "ipfw ... queue NNN" up to 5000 at
>> 10a.m. this morning. The traffic flow between 4a.m. and 10:30a.m., the
>> "quiet" times, is about 200-330 mbit/s 5 minute average, without a
>> single drop. But after that, in come the drops, no matter how high I set
>> the queue. Should I try 10000 slots? 20000?
>
> First switch from taildrop (default) to GRED, it is designed to fight
> your problem.

      red | gred w_q/min_th/max_th/max_p
            Make use of the RED (Random Early Detection) queue
management algo-
            rithm.  w_q and max_p are floating point numbers between 0
and 1 (0
            not included), while min_th and max_th are integer numbers
specify-
            ing thresholds for queue management (thresholds are computed in
            bytes if the queue has been defined in bytes, in slots
otherwise).
            The dummynet(4) also supports the gentle RED variant (gred).

Do you or someone else know what w_q and max_p are?

There's just too much info for me to grasp here:
http://www.icir.org/floyd/red.html