vimage-assigning interface to jail

remodeler remodeler at alentogroup.org
Fri Oct 2 22:37:33 UTC 2009

Hi:

> Without doing anything extra except booting, (with no jails started),
> what happens when you duplicate my commands in the previous email?

#jail -c host.hostname=test path=/ vnet persist

I substituted persist parameter for command=/bin/tcsh in your example,
otherwise the jail is destroyed when I exit the shell to enter the next command:

#ifconfig msk0 vnet 1

test# ifconfig
lo0: flags=8008<LOOPBACK,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 16384
        options=3<RXCSUM,TXCSUM>
        maclabel mls/equal(equal-equal)
msk0: flags=8842<BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
        options=11a<TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,TSO4>
        ether 00:23:54:08:2b:f7
        maclabel mls/low(low-low)
        media: Ethernet autoselect

test#ifconfig msk0 172.28.15.1/24

test#netstat -rn
netstat: kvm not available: /dev/mem: Permission denied
Routing tables
rt_tables: symbol not in namelist

test# route add default 192.168.0.1
route: writing to routing socket: Network is unreachable
add net default: gateway 192.168.0.1: Network is unreachable

#test# route add default 172.28.15.2
add net default: gateway 172.28.15.2

The host's IP address is set to 192.168.0.10, with a default route of
192.168.0.1 -- the route command succeeded when I used your example, although
netstat -rn still fails with the same output as above. In my earlier
correspondences, I was pushing a ng_eiface node to the jail instead of the
physical ethernet device.

Thank you.