vimage-assigning interface to jail

Julian Elischer julian at elischer.org
Fri Oct 2 19:14:33 UTC 2009

remodeler wrote:
> Thank you to Julian for his kind response on my original question. I have
> succeeded with the "jail [...] vnet [...]" syntax Julian suggested. I looked
> through the /etc/rc.d/jail script and discovered why I cannot start a vnet
> jail with the rc mechanism - the vnet parameter to jail requires the -c flag,
> and the /etc/rc.d/jail script uses alternate syntax precluding the -c flag
> (instead of named parameters, it uses the four fixed parameters of path,
> hostname, ip, and command).
>
> I wonder if someone might help with a problem I am unable to resolve. I have
> no network connectivity from the vnet jail. I have opened the jail completely
> up for testing, mounting the host devfs, procfs, allowing raw sockets, and
> setting socket_unixiproute_only=0. I get the error message:
>
>   PING 192.168.0.16 (192.168.0.16): 56 data bytes
>   ping: sendto: No route to host

you need to assign an interface to the jail, either a real one, or
a dummy one which connects to the main/base jail, where the packets
can be routed. The ifconfig command is used for this in both cases
but differently.

what do you see when you type 'ifconfig'  and 'netstat -rn' ine
the jail?

> and
>
>   vimage testvnet route get default
>   route: writing to routing socket: No such process
>
> I've read some of Julian's work on implementing FIB's (multiple kernel routing
> tables) - do I need to create and bind a route table (and socket) to the vnet?
> How do I do so?

no you do not.  The FIBS are all in a single jail. each jail comes
with its own completely separate set of FIBs.

> Also, I developed a local rc.d script that flexibly combines starting my
> vnet'd service jails and initiating the netgraph subsystem to bridge the
> virtual network stacks (jails) and physical ethernet interface using ng_ether,
> ng_eiface, and ng_bridge nodes. I intend to migrate the various security
> checks from /etc/rc.d/jail into my local script. That script uses a local
> configuration file with syntax similar to rc.conf for the jail values, but I
> don't see a clean way to load a netgraph configuration (and also notice there
> isn't a netgraph rc script, but examples for setting up local scripts). Is it
> a reasonable thought to parse a vizgraph dot file for netgraph configuration
> in my script?

not sure what that last one means :-)

there is no netgraph rc feature, because netgraph is expected to be
controlled by other facilities as an underlying method..

sorry I can't help more... time constraints..