Bridging and stp question

Jedrzej Kalinowski kalinoj1 at iem.pw.edu.pl
Thu May 28 19:20:19 UTC 2009

Hello,

I'm using a bridge to connect tap devices used by qemu emulator to an
outside world.

I run into a bit of problem however, because if I feed qemu virtual
machine with two tap interfaces - I need to turn on stp on them when
adding to a bridge to prevent a loop .

This is probably due to improper qemu behaviour as I suppose, because I
does not happen when I run two qemu machines with each of them getting
one tap device.

As we know from 'man ifconfig' the default behaviour for the interface
added to a bridge is to add it with stp protocol disabled and I have to
specify stp explicitly.

My question is:

Is there any way to configure the bridge to add stp protocol to any
added (via ifconfig bridgeX addm ifX) member interface - so to change
the default behaviour? Or specifying it explicitly is unavoidable?

Best regards.
--
Jedrzej Kalinowski