Weird dhclient behavior after today's rebuild
freebsd-net at dino.sk
Thu May 14 05:13:32 UTC 2009
I did full system rebuild from freshly csup'ped sources. Everything went
smooth as usual, but after reboot network card did not get configured via
DHCP. There were four lines logged on console/in syslog:
dhclient: re0: not found
dhclient: connection closed
I did some tests, disabled automatic dhclient invocation in rc.conf.
Then, after connecting cable, ifconfig re0 show status active, netstat -rnf
inet shows only loopback route (220.127.116.11 on lo0). Manually starting
ifconfig: ioctl (SIOCAIFADDR): File exists
re0: not found
At this point, netstat -rnf inet shows additional 0.0.0.0/8 route on re0,yet
there is no addres in ifconfig re0 output.
Assigning IP statically works (tested only via ifconfig re0 <IP>, but setting
this in rc.conf should have exastly the same effect).
I found a bit strange workaround for this - first assign any IP to interface,
I used 0.0.0.1/8, then launching dhclient re0 yields desired result...
This problem is observed with sources 24 hours old, verified with sources 12
hours old, did not occured last time I did rebuild from sources 3 or 4 days
old (not remembered exactly).
More information about the freebsd-net