kernel hang when reboot with loaded ip_vs_rr.ko

Maciej Suszko maciej at suszko.eu
Sun May 10 12:16:21 UTC 2009

"Sam Wan" <sam at ip6.com.au> wrote:
> Unfortunately, after started ip_vs_rr with this script, reboot still
> failed, but interestingly, system shutdown is running fine with these
> moduels loaded.
>
> Thanks
> Sam
>
> > Sam Wun <swun2010 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> It is IPVS patch, for FreeBSD.
> >> I am in Melbourne Australia.
> >> Can you send me email regarding about how to fix this issue?
> >> BTW, if I kldunload ip_vs_rr before reboot/shutdown, the system
> >> will execute the reboot / shutdown normally.
> >> When I executed reboot/shutdown with the ip_vs_rr still loaded in
> >> the kernel, the system hangs after the console printed the message
> >> "...vnode...."
> >>
> >> Here are the modules loaded:
> >> # kldstat
> >> Id Refs Address    Size     Name
> >>  1    5 0xc0400000 a434d8   kernel
> >>  2    1 0xc0e44000 6a45c    acpi.ko
> >>  3    1 0xc469d000 2000     ip_vs_rr.ko
> >>  4    1 0xc469f000 b000     ipvs.ko
> >>
> >>  # shutdown -h now
> >> Syncing disks, vnodes remaining... 1 1 0 0 done
> >> All buffers synced.
> >> IPVS: ipvs unloaded
> >>
> >> then it hangs forever.
> >>
> >> Another problem is I can't put ipvs_vs_rr_load="yes" in the
> >> /boot/loader.conf file. The system will hang when it tried to boot
> >> the kernel with this ko loaded.
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Check the freebsd-clister archive - AFAIR I've tested
> > ipvs+keepalived a time ago and the panic problem was already known.
> > Someone even sent some rc scripts to mailing list. It was a year
> > ago or so...

1) Answer below the text.
2) The 'reboot' command should be used only when you're in single mode.
Use shutdown -r to clean reboot as written in reboot(8) and
shutdown(8).
I haven't looked at the script, but I think everything should be fine
if modules are loaded on boot and unloaded before reboot (within some
start/stop action).
--
regards, Maciej Suszko.