Interrupts + Polling mode (similar to Linux's NAPI)

Adrian Chadd adrian at freebsd.org
Sat May 2 06:32:24 UTC 2009

2009/5/2 Barney Cordoba <barney_cordoba at yahoo.com>:

> I think its unlikely that a commercial implementation is going to
> be of much use generally, as with a mutex based OS you're going to
> have to do heavy specialization to get the results  you want. For
> example a web server, transparent firewall and router would required
> very different implementations to be properly optimised.
>
> I'm going to regularly hear the open sorcerers whining about
> contributing, but the fact is that the work I'm doing has no place in
> a general purpose OS. Optimizing for a specific commercial product is
> going to require all kinds of fudging and gimmickry.

Sure, but you may find that your fudging and gimmickry could be useful
as a reference platform for more generic improvements.

So I do encourage you (and others!) with these sorts of hackery to
release your stuff for others to use and abuse. Who knows, they may
get improved and included into FreeBSD at a later stage.

(FWIW, companies like Ironport do just this. :)

Adrian