bwi mac address changes?

Callum Gibson callumgibson at optusnet.com.au
Fri Jun 26 04:15:03 UTC 2009

G'day,
I'm giving the new bwi driver a spin on my HP nx6125 which has a Broadcom
BCM4309 wireless nic. This machine came with 32bit WinXP and under FreeBSD
I've been using ndis with a 64bit Windows driver from Asus (I think).

As a general report, the bwi driver in combination with the
bwi-firmware-kmod port is working well. I am experiencing a display
glitch on my X root window which seems to be related to using this driver,
but no issues apart from that so far.

Today I noticed I'd retrieved a new IP with DHCP and tracked it down to
a change in MAC address. Going through the messages file I noticed it was
always one less when using bwi and reverted back to the original MAC address
under ndis (and Windows XP with the 32 bit driver).

ndis: XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:39
bwi:  XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:38

Is this expected behaviour or is something odd happening? It's not related
to the firmware kmod because the logs showed it changed MAC with bwi before
I'd installed that port. Someone suggested it might be trimming the LSB.

I'm running fairly recent current (a week old):
FreeBSD incant 8.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 8.0-CURRENT #4: Thu Jun 25 20:48:42 EST 2009     root at incant:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/INCANT  amd64

regards,
    Callum

--

Callum Gibson @ home