IPv6 Ideas

Michael Widerkrantz mc at hack.org
Fri Jun 12 06:42:25 UTC 2009

Nathan Lay <nslay at comcast.net> (2009-04-24 20:39 +0200):

>> What are your problems with using radvd? I have used it quite a bit
>> on FreeBSD (6.1) without any hassle. It's even written quite nicely
>> in my experience so working on patches for it should be quite
>> do-able if there are features missing.
>>
> radvd actually does support DNS advertisement (but rtsol doesn't, so
> it doesn't matter).

I'm sorry for the late response. I had over 500 unread messages in this
mailing list.

It's true that radvd supports the RDNSS option (RFC 5006). Just add
something like this to your radvd.conf:

interface whatever
{

  # *snipp*

  RDNSS 2001:16d8:ffff:1::1
  {
  };
};

I have written a client side implementation of RDNSS. It was developed
under FreeBSD, but seems to work under Linux as well. Some early testing
has been done under MacOS X as well.

You can find it here:

  http://hack.org/mc/hacks/radns/

It doesn't support aging of the RDNSS data yet and you need some way to
make it play well with a DHCP client if you're running dual stack,
otherwise they will compete for /etc/resolv.conf.

I'm hoping to be able to find the time to clean up radns, add aging and
a script to work with dhclient. Shouldn't be too hard.

I'm willing to patch FreeBSD's rtadvd to support RFC 5006 as well, if I
can find the time.

Cheers,
MC.

--
M.C. Widerkrantz, http://hack.org/mc/
Plain text e-mail, please. OpenPGP welcome.