NTP - default /etc/ntp.conf

David Malone dwmalone at maths.tcd.ie
Thu Jul 2 18:34:18 UTC 2009

> This is handled by having different local clocks in different strata.
> I only use 2 such strata -- 1 for server and another for all clients.
> But this is not so easy to set up as a default.

Indeed - I use 14 for the server, in the hope that it would limit
how far the unsynced time would get in the event of something
unexpected happening. If we're disconnected, I don't expect the
time to need to go more than two hops, so 14 should be OK. Introducing
some machines at stratum 10 into my network will result in something
else that I didn't expect.

> ref8 FreeBSD cluster machines have the new ntp.conf, so they have the
> local clock with the same stratum and this misconfiguration is getting
> some official testing :-).

I think this configuration has been pretty well tested, unbeknownst to
many ;-)

> It is probably actually unofficial, due
> mergemaster blowing away the old primitive ntp.conf which is still
> used on other FreeBSD cluster machines.  This seems to break the
> server config generally -- ntptrace on ref8* hangs after localhost
> while ntptrace on ref7-amd64 hangs after hub.

Interesting!

	David.