iwi doesn't see a wireless network

Adam K Kirchhoff adamk at voicenet.com
Wed Jan 28 01:24:06 PST 2009

On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 19:17:38 -0800
Sam Leffler <sam at freebsd.org> wrote:

> Adam K Kirchhoff wrote:
> > I'm trying to get my laptop to connect to the wireless access point at
> > work. It has a Intel Pro Wireless 2200BG minipci card, and can
> > associate with my access point at home. In addition, I can get an
> > Ubuntu 8.10 liveCD to connect to the access point at work via
> > NetworkManager. So there is definitely no incompatibility between the
> > wireless card and access point.
> >
> > Here's my wpa_supplicant.conf file:
> >
> > network={
> > 	ssid="Mckella280Front"
> > 	key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
> > 	pairwise=TKIP
> > 	psk="#########"
> > }
> >
> > The preshared key is definitely correct, as it's the one that works
> > with the liveCD. For the sake of testing, I've removed the reference to
> > my wireless AP at home.
> >
> > I'm attaching the output from wpa_supplicant run with -dd.  Basically,
> > it keeps scanning but only ever sees the tmobile network.  That's
> > actually coming from another person in the building using a tmobile
> > wireless broadband card. If she's not here, the scan never picks up
> > anything. Similarly, 'ifconfig iwi0 list scan' only picks up the
> > tmobile ssid.
> >
> > Yet, if I reboot off the liveCD, it works. Here's the output of 'iwlist
> > eth1 scanning' under the liveCD:
> >
> > eth1      Scan completed :
> >           Cell 01 - Address: 00:22:6B:9A:CC:AF
> >                     ESSID:"Mckella280Front"
> >                     Protocol:IEEE 802.11bg
> >                     Mode:Master
> >                     Frequency:2.457 GHz (Channel 10)
> >                     Encryption key:on
> >                     Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s; 6 Mb/s
> >                               9 Mb/s; 12 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s; 24 Mb/s; 36 Mb/s
> >                               48 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s
> >                     Quality=50/100  Signal level=-68 dBm
> >                     IE: WPA Version 1
> >                         Group Cipher : TKIP
> >                         Pairwise Ciphers (1) : TKIP
> >                         Authentication Suites (1) : PSK
> >                     IE: IEEE 802.11i/WPA2 Version 1
> >                         Group Cipher : TKIP
> >                         Pairwise Ciphers (1) : CCMP
> >                         Authentication Suites (1) : PSK
> >                     Extra: Last beacon: 904ms ago
> >

> > And, iwconfig while connected:
> >
> > eth1      IEEE 802.11g  ESSID:"Mckella280Front"
> >           Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.457 GHz  Access Point: 00:22:6B:9A:CC:AF
> >           Bit Rate:54 Mb/s   Tx-Power=20 dBm   Sensitivity=8/0
> >           Retry limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
> >           Power Management:off
> >           Link Quality=59/100  Signal level=-66 dBm  Noise level=-87 dBm
> >           Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:6  Rx invalid frag:0
> >           Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:3
> >
> > The only thing I can think of is that the AP is using some feature that
> > the iwi driver, or wpa_supplicant, doesn't support.
> >
> > Is there someway to get this working?
> >

> You don't indicate a freebsd version.  Is your ap configured to hide the
> ssid?
>
>     Sam

Sorry.  This is: FreeBSD 7.1-STABLE #1: Fri Jan 23 11:41:10 EST 2009

And no, the AP does not hide the ssid.  It shows up in NetworkManager
on the LiveCD without any extra configuration (just asking for the key
when I select it).  But, just to be sure, I've tried setting scan_ssid
to 1 in wpa_supplicant.conf, too, but that didn't change anything.

Adam

believed to be clean.