MTU or Fragmentation Problems on 7.0?

Ian Smith smithi at nimnet.asn.au
Tue Jan 27 08:01:48 PST 2009

On Mon, 26 Jan 2009, Len Gross wrote:
 > Ian,
 >
 > Thanks so much for taking the time to look at this problem.

More like a parting shot over the shoulder before bedtime :)

 > I do not have any firewall running on any of the machines, unless
 > something "auto enables."  The  only rc.conf entries are ifconfig and
 > routing.
 >
 > The thing that is most puzzling to me is that everything is fine on
 > FreeBSD #2 even though it is "behind" a link with 1450 MTU.  This
 > sounds like it must be a "bug" on  FreeBSD #2 (version 7.0) routing
 > from the 1450 route to the 1500 route to FreeBSD 3.  But if that were
 > true, why would running a Web Proxy on FreeBSD #1 work?

What if you also set FreeBSD #2's more inside interface to 1450, as on
FreeBSD #1?  Apart from that I can't say anything as useful as David
DeSimone's more detailed coverage of the issues, except that tcpdump on
FreeBSD #3 should show what is (and isn't) happening more clearly.

cheers, Ian