BIND 9.4.3-P1: internal_send: 199.7.83.42#53: Device not configured, where 199.7.83.42 is RANDOM IP address

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Sat Jan 24 15:10:17 PST 2009

Lev Serebryakov wrote:
> Hello, Freebsd-stable.
>
>   BIND on my new router (7.1-STABLE, BIND 9.4.3-P1) shows bunch of
> errors on every start and doesn't answer on requests for 30-60 seconds
> after that. Errors are like this:

It's not necessary or desirable to paste in so many examples of the
same message. It's also not good to cross post the same message to
multiple lists.

> Jan 24 12:18:12 gateway named[1455]: /usr/src/lib/bind/isc/../../../contrib/bind9/lib/isc/unix/socket.c:1567: unexpected error:
> Jan 24 12:18:12 gateway named[1455]: internal_send: 193.0.14.129#53: Device not configured

That message is fairly clear, the system has told named that it can
talk to the outside world, but there isn't anything there for named to
talk to. As you already pointed out in another message, the IP
addresses are for the root name servers. The first thing named does
when it starts up is to verify the information in the hints file.

>   Main problem is, that mount_nfs failed on startup on this router
> because bind is not ready due to these errors and all system goes to
> single-user mode :(

Any time you are using NFS you should maintain the addresses of the
critical hosts in /etc/hosts. Yes, I realize that's anachronistic
(especially for a DNS guy) but it works. Obviously you should make
sure to update them as needed.

>   Computer is Soekris net5501, with 6 network interfaces (vr0-vr3 on
> board, em0 and ath0 attached). Only vr0 and vr1 are used, but adding
> fake addresses to vr2 and vr3 doesn't help at all.
>
>  Also, mpd5 creates two NG interfaces (ng0 and ng1) on startup to connect to two
> providers.
>
>  But previous installation (on faster hardware) doesn't show these
> errors at all!

I've never used mpd myself, but you might want to try adding the
following line to /usr/local/etc/rc.d/mpd and see if it helps:

# BEFORE: named

Doug