Having problems with limited broadcast

Peter Steele psteele at maxiscale.com
Thu Jan 8 14:39:12 PST 2009

>If this is all going over an L2 LAN, why not do the initial discovery
>and general configuration exchange over IPv6? :P Link layer
>network-scope addresses to the rescue.
>
>(think: just like apple wireless base stations and MacOSX hosts doing
>configuration do..)

It's really a matter of time. We didn't anticipate limited broadcast
being broken in FreeBSD and we're scrambling to come up with a solution.
To be quite frank I haven't done anything with IPv6 before so it would
be more research to get up to speed on this option. It seems our best
option is scapy, which unfortunately I also haven't used before...