FreeBSD Router Problem

Adrian Penisoara ady at freebsd.ady.ro
Thu Feb 26 16:20:01 PST 2009

Hi,

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 1:06 AM, Shawn Everett <shawn at tandac.com> wrote:

> Sorry I meant to say FreeBSD 7.0 :)
>
> > Hi Guys,
> >
> > Here's a weird one...  I set up FreeBSD 5.2 to act as a router.  I used
> > the pf.conf script shown at:
> > http://www.openbsd.org/faq/pf/pools.html#outgoing
> >
> > Everything works just fine.  Traffic is appropriately load balanced and
> > things work as expected.
> >
> > Strangely after a few hours something just stops routing traffic.  I
> can't
> > ping the remote gateways either.  Both external interfaces still show the
> > correct IP addresses.  Rebooting the BSD box solves the problem.  Nothing
> > else gets rebooted.

 Any error messages in dmesg output ?
 Significant changes in "netstat -m" output before and after ?
 The same for "pfctl -s all" output...

> > Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Try tcpdump'ing on the router's interfaces an on the source machine and
compare the packet flows -- do the packets reach the router ? Do they
attempt to pass to the outside ?

Regards,
Adrian.