Packet filter performance on SMP

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Tue Feb 17 09:48:01 PST 2009

Hi,

I've asked this a week ago on the -ipfw list, but got no
reply ...  The -net list might be more appropriate.

I'll have to implement a packet filter on machines with
several cores (4 to 8).  Which one of the available filters
(IPFW, IPF, PF) will provide the best performance on such
SMP machines?  I heard that PF doesn't support SMP hardware
very well -- is that true?  Will IPFW be better?

Thanks for any insights.

Best regards
   Oliver

"We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing,
are doing the impossible for the ungrateful.
We have done so much, for so long, with so little,
we are now qualified to do anything with nothing."
        -- Mother Teresa