kern/112722: [udp] IP v4 udp fragmented packet reject

Kent Fox Kent.Fox at imail.org
Mon Feb 2 10:20:04 PST 2009

The following reply was made to PR kern/112722; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Kent Fox <Kent.Fox at imail.org>
To: "rwatson at FreeBSD.org" <rwatson at FreeBSD.org>, "freebsd-net at FreeBSD.org"
	<freebsd-net at FreeBSD.org>
Subject: RE: kern/112722: [udp] IP v4 udp fragmented packet reject
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 08:21:56 -0700

 Thanks for the thought but we went back to OpenBSD and fixed our performanc=
 e issue with some kernel parameters. I'm sorry that I cannot help out and d=
 uplicate the problem as I no longer have that environment. The main issue w=
 as the forced reassembly of fragmented packets. When the ingress packet siz=
 e was maxed out, the egress with the tunnel encapsulation was too large and=
  the packet was discarded. We tried a smaller MTU on the ingress but we sti=
 ll could never make it work. Doing an IPsec tunnel with RDP was a sure way =
 of killing the connection. So what you have is C------>FW------->S. From C(=
 lient) the S(erver) there is an IPSec tunnel (all the way) and from C to FW=
 (firewall FreeBSD server) is another IPSec tunnel (tunnel on the intranet (=
 now GRE)).

 Hope that helps.

 Kent