Any plans to upgrade the tftp client and server images for FreeBSD?

Patrick Mahan mahan at mahan.org
Thu Dec 31 05:04:06 UTC 2009

Not sure if this is the correct list, but I am working as part of
a kernel team that is using FreeBSD 8.0 for it's base OS.

We have had a ongoing issue with our bootloader (u-boot) with it
being unable to tftp from the tftp server running on our FreeBSD
server.  We traced the issue down to the tftp code in u-boot was
using the 'blksize' option and was not handling the option nak
correctly.  Since we didn't want to have to require a change in
the bootloader, it was instead decided to fix the tftp server to
support RFC 2348.  After looking around the internet, we found that
the tftp server under NetBSD did support RFC 2348.  This made it
an easy port, one line change to the usr.bin/tftp/Makefile and a
slight change to libexec/tftpd.c (changed the name of an internal
function from 'sendfile' back to 'xmitfile').  It has been working
just fine for us.

So I have been tasked with asking if the FreeBSD developers would
like this code for future inclusion (or one of the current developers
could just grab it from NetBSD).

Reading the website it seems to contribute we need to be running -CURRENT
which is not currently possible (other reasons we are using 8.0.  This
is actually a recent upgrade as we were previously using FreeBSD 6.2).

So if this is something that could be useful, I have the code and a patch
to modify the original NetBSD code to contribute.

Also, if it is already done, then I was not able to view it (I tried the CVS and
SVN web source browser and did not see any changes related to adding RFC 2348
support.

Thanks for listening,

Patrick