kern/141276: [vge] Strange behavior with vge gigabit ethernet adapter

Pyun YongHyeon pyunyh at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 03:14:35 UTC 2009

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 08:58:19PM -0600, Carey Jones wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The version from HEAD seems to work better than any of the previous patches
> I've tried, though it still doesn't seem to get quite the throughput that
> the adapter managed under RELENG_7.  Unfortunately I don't have any
> quantitative data for you.  However, the symptoms from my pr are definitely
> gone.

Glad to hear that.

I have strong evidence that the vge(4) can't saturate the link for
any frame size. I still have no idea why it shows poor TX
performance(about 650Mbps) compared to RX(about 930Mbps). The best
performance number I can get from my local patch was about 800Mbps
which is still very lower than any other gigabit controllers. I'm
working on it with various scenarios but I couldn't find clue.