Running rtadvd or DHCPv6 server via if_bridge interface

Chris Cowart ccowart at timesinks.net
Fri Dec 11 06:51:54 UTC 2009

Bruce Cran wrote:
> I have a router configured using if_bridge with a 4-port NIC that's
> serving addresses over DHCP. I'd like to add in either rtadvd or
> DHCPv6, but neither work because the bridge interface doesn't have an
> IPv6 link-local address. Is there a way around this, or is it not
> possible to serve IPv6 addresses over if_bridge interfaces?

It's totally doable; you just have to assigned a link-local address to
the bridge. There are some reasons why one isn't defined by default,
which somebody more knowledgeable about the challenges in the
implementation can highlight.

Here's my configuration from rc.conf:

ipv6_ifconfig_bridge0="2001:470:8337:10::1/64"
ipv6_ifconfig_bridge0_alias0="fe80::2%bridge0 prefixlen 64"

Once you're doing that, rtadvd will start doing the right thing.

--
Chris Cowart
  http://www.timesinks.net/