kern/106438: [ipf] ipfilter: keep state does not seem to allow replies in on spar64 (and maybe others)

Mark Abene phiber at phiber.com
Mon Dec 7 01:40:04 UTC 2009

The following reply was made to PR kern/106438; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Mark Abene <phiber at phiber.com>
To: bug-followup at FreeBSD.org, mala at hinterbergen.de
Subject: Re: kern/106438: [ipf] ipfilter: keep state does not seem to allow
 replies in on spar64 (and maybe others)
Date: Sun, 06 Dec 2009 20:26:25 -0500

 It's been several years since this was first reported, and I can confirm
 that it's still a problem in FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE on i386 with an fxp
 interface.  I just wasted nearly two days trying to figure out why our
 ipfilter rules which have been in use for years on our firewall suddenly
 locked the machine out when we upgraded from a rather old version of
 FreeBSD to 8.0-RELEASE.

 Same exact problem, same exact symptoms.  Disabling checksumming on the
 interface resolved the problem completely, otherwise ipfilter was rather
 broken.  I'm really glad I found this bug report, though not soon
 enough.  This is a rather serious problem.

 -Mark