[patch] Unbreak setfib + routing daemons

Stef Walter stef-list at memberwebs.com
Mon Aug 31 19:47:34 UTC 2009

Julian Elischer wrote:
> there are two ways to go with this one being what you have done teh
> other to add fib info to the messages, Apparently
> OpenBSD has implemented the second by re-using a disused field.
> (I'm ve only been told this second hand)

It seems like they've taken apart the rtm_flags field (int), and
repurposed it as rtm_tableid (u_short), rtm_priority (u_char) and padding.

Obviously such a change would require patches to the various routing
daemons as well. But if you think this is the only way forward (ie:
filtering the messages in userland), I'd be happy to contribute.

> I"ll look a tyour change and see what we can do.
> it might just make it to 8.1 at this stage but we can
> see what it looks like.

I've posted a new patch which should handle all the various senders of
route messages better. Qing Li pointed out some naive assumptions I made
in my initial patch. It's more complex because we can no longer use
M_GETFIB and M_SETFIB to relay FIB information into the netisr routine.

> how much have you tested this?

I need this for some client systems that we're upgrading. I'll be
putting it into production this week. If there's any problems with it,
I'll let you and the mailing list know.

Cheers,

Stef