native vlan

Steve Bertrand steve at ibctech.ca
Tue Aug 25 12:23:58 UTC 2009

Balázs Mátéffy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would add, that if you have hosts, a hub or an unmanaged switch without
> vlan capability between two switches with vlans those devices will use the
> native vlan.

This isn't entirely accurate.

Note that the VLAN tag is applied during the ingress into the switch. If
I have a host (or switch etc) that is incapable of 802.1q that I want
configured into a non-native VLAN (vlan 500 for example), then I would
configure the port the host is connected to as a vlan 500 access port.

The device connected to that port would then be part of vlan 500.

> And another thing: you have to make the native vlan the same on
> the switches or you will get native vlan error messages. In cisco the native
> vlan's number is 1 by the way not 0, as far as I know.

Yes, in Cisco-land, VLAN 1 is the default, native VLAN. Most people will
disable vlan 1, and configure native to be an arbitrary number.

Also, there are cases where the native vlan warnings are acceptable,
such as when you need to bridge your network via layer-2 to an outside
network that you don't control, and both parties are using separate
native vlans.

Steve