native vlan

Michael K. Smith - Adhost mksmith at adhost.com
Mon Aug 24 21:26:29 UTC 2009

Well, in Cisco speak, the native vlan is untagged and used for
management.  So, all your customer traffic comes in tagged with various
VLAN's and your management stuff remains untagged and localized to the
switching infrastructure.

So, I guess you would do it if you wanted to speak spanning tree
(802.1D) with switches and/or you wanted to put a management IP address
on the same subnet as your switch management VLAN subnet.

Regards,

Mike